Diabetes Prevention Program
The Oneida Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) helps to prevent diabetes by empowering participants to make simple lifestyle changes such as, exercising more, eating healthy food and losing weight.
Taking part in this program is voluntary. Participants must be 18 years or older, however, adolescents can participate with a parent.
- Oneida Community Health Center patients
- Oneida Nation employees receiving health insurance benefits
- Participants cannot be pregnant, have cancer, or on dialysis with End Stage Renal Disease
- Participants should be willing to participate in regular diabetes prevention education classes and monthly coaching visits
- Participants should be willing to commit to the program for at least 1 year
The Diabetes Prevention Program can help in several ways:
- We will watch your health closely.
- You will get routine labs and assessments.
- You will take classes on eating healthy, increasing physical activity, and losing weight.
- You may be able to delay or avoid getting diabetes by participating in this program.
- If you have diabetes, you may be able to keep it under control.
The 12 month Core Program involves participation in weekly classes for 16 weeks and then monthly with a Wellness Coach. These classes will provide the tools necessary to eat healthy, increase physical activity, and change habits that lead to living a balanced, healthy life.
The classes run for 16 weeks:
- Welcome – Getting Started Losing Weight
- Get Active to Prevent Diabetes
- Track Your Activity
- Eat Well to Prevent Diabetes
- Track Your Food
- Get More Active
- Burn More Calories Than You Take In
- Shop and Cook to Prevent Diabetes
- Manage Stress
- Find Time for Fitness
- Cope with Triggers
- Keep Your Heart Healthy
- Take Charge of Your Thoughts
- Get Support
- Eat Well Away from Home
- Stay Motivated to Prevent Diabetes
Coaching Lessons to choose from monthly for 8 months:
- When Weigh Loss Stalls
- Take a Fitness Break
- Stay Active to Prevent Diabetes
- Stay Active Away from Home
- More About Diabetes
- More About Carbs
- Have Healthy Food You Enjoy
- Get Enough Sleep
- Get Back on Track
- Prevent Diabetes for Life
Participants will meet with a Wellness Coach at least 1x per month throughout the program. Wellness coaches are trained to help clients develop & implement personal wellness plans. The process of wellness coaching progresses through several stages:
- You provide background information through a wellness assessment so that you and your coach are well-informed on the key issues, including medical considerations.
- During the first 30-60 minute coaching session, you identify your priorities and develop a personal wellness plan including a wellness vision, three month goals and the first steps.
- In subsequent 30-40 minute coaching sessions, each week, bi-week, or month, you and your coach review the progress toward your vision and goals, explore and resolve the most pressing issues, learn something new, and then agree on a set of goals for the following week. You will enjoy plenty of ah-ah insights along the way.
- By the end of three months, you should reach more than 70% of your three-month goals and feel energized and confident to embark on new areas with or without your coach.
Participants who successfully complete the 1st year are able to participate in After Core. After Core is designed to keep you motivated to continue with your weight loss journey or maintain and sustain the changes made throughout the program. After Core includes group class education, Wellness Coaching, and physical activity through Just Move It-Oneida events and other local physically active events.