Complete the Online Referral Form. Email questions to email@example.com. A Health Promotion Specialist will call you to help get you started.
Diabetes Prevention Program
The Oneida Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) helps to prevent diabetes by empowering participants to make simple lifestyle changes such as, exercising more, eating healthy food and losing weight.
Taking part in this program is voluntary. Participants must be 18 years or older, however, adolescents can participate with a parent.
- Oneida Community Health Center patients
- Oneida Nation employees receiving health insurance benefits
- Participants cannot be pregnant, have cancer, or on dialysis with End Stage Renal Disease
- Participants should be willing to participate in regular diabetes prevention education classes and monthly coaching visits
- Participants should be willing to commit to the program for at least 1 year
The Diabetes Prevention Program can help in several ways:
- We will watch your health closely.
- You will get routine labs and assessments.
- You will take classes on eating healthy, increasing physical activity, and losing weight.
- You may be able to delay or avoid getting diabetes by participating in this program.
- If you have diabetes, you may be able to keep it under control.
The 12 month Core Program involves participation in 10 weekly classes, 6 biweekly class, 6 monthly classes, and biweekly coaching with a Wellness Coach. These classes will provide the tools necessary to eat healthy, increase physical activity, and change habits that lead to living a balanced, healthy life.
Below are the class lessons throughout the year:
- Welcome – Introduction to the Program
- Get Active to Prevent Diabetes
- Track Your Activity
- Eat Well to Prevent Diabetes
- Track Your Food
- Get More Active
- Burn More Calories Than You Take In
- Shop and Cook to Prevent Diabetes
- Manage Stress
- Find Time for Fitness
- Cope with Triggers
- Keep Your Heart Healthy
- Take Charge of Your Thoughts
- Get Support
- Eat Well Away from Home
- Stay Motivated to Prevent Diabetes
- Stay Active Away from Home
- More About Carbs
- Get Enough Sleep
- Have Healthy Food You Enjoy
- When Weight Loss Stalls
- Prevent Diabetes for Life!
Participants will meet with a Wellness Coach at least 1x per month throughout the program. Wellness coaches are trained to help clients develop & implement personal wellness plans. The process of wellness coaching progresses through several stages:
- You provide background information through a wellness assessment so that you and your coach are well-informed on the key issues, including medical considerations.
- During the first 30-60 minute coaching session, you identify your priorities and develop a personal wellness plan including a wellness vision, three month goals and the first steps.
- In subsequent 30-40 minute coaching sessions, each week, bi-week, or month, you and your coach review the progress toward your vision and goals, explore and resolve the most pressing issues, learn something new, and then agree on a set of goals for the following week. You will enjoy plenty of ah-ah insights along the way.
- By the end of three months, you should reach more than 70% of your three-month goals and feel energized and confident to embark on new areas with or without your coach.