Fixed Wireless Access (FWA)
is a way of providing wireless connectivity through radio links between two fixed points. In other words, fixed wireless is a way to provide wireless internet access to homes or businesses without laying fiber and cables to provide last mile connectivity. FWA enables network operators to provide ultra-high-speed broadband to sub-urban and rural areas where the cost of laying fiber or maintaining fiber lines is prohibitively expensive.
Benefits and limitations of fixed wireless access
There are several benefits and limitations to fixed wireless access, which include:
- Bridging the digital gap in underserved areas. In a time when the internet is becoming increasingly essential, FWA offers a way to bring high-speed connectivity to those who need it most.
- Can provide high-speed internet to areas without infrastructure. FWA does not require a physical wired connection outside the home, making it an option for those who reside in areas with mobile coverage.
- Flexible installation. Unlike other technologies, FWA can be installed quickly and easily without needing trenches or other disruptive construction. For example, the first 5G customer in Houston and in the nation simply had a small, pillow-shaped antenna installed on their home, from which a wire runs down to their router. The antenna itself receives a wireless signal from one of Verizon’s many fixed wireless nodes located on power and light poles in Houston.
- Transmission distance is limited. Because FWA connections rely on line of sight, they are limited to areas close to the cellular tower.
- Environmental factors can impact performance.Some FWA connections may be impacted by things like trees, buildings, and path loss, which depends on the terrain.
- Relatively new technology that is continually evolving. As with any new technology, some kinks still need to be worked out, such as occasional outages, dropped connections, and so on.
Oneida FWA Project
Builded two towers within the Oneida Boundaries to broadcast Internet
– One tower to be built in the old Health Center property across from E&EE One Stop
– One tower to be built on Cooper Road
Anticipated Coverage for the 2.5G Fixed Wireless Access
The purpose of deploying Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) 2.5G for the Oneida community is to provide reliable and affordable internet access to residents and businesses in that area. Here are some key objectives and benefits of implementing FWA 2.5G for a community:
1. Bridge the Digital Divide: FWA 2.5G can help narrow the digital divide by offering internet access to communities that lack access to traditional wired broadband services, especially in rural or underserved areas. This ensures that residents in these areas have access to essential online resources, education, healthcare information, and economic opportunities.
2. Affordability: FWA 2.5G networks can be more cost-effective to deploy compared to laying down fiber optic or cable infrastructure. This can result in lower subscription costs for users, making internet access more affordable for the community.
3. Quick Deployment: Wireless networks can be deployed relatively quickly, allowing communities to gain access to the internet sooner than if they were waiting for the construction of physical broadband infrastructure.
4. Reliability: FWA 2.5G can offer a reliable internet connection, which is crucial for tasks such as remote work, online education, telemedicine, and staying connected with friends and family. It can also be a backup connectivity option during emergencies.
5. Scalability: As the community’s internet needs grow, FWA 2.5G networks can be upgraded or expanded to support higher bandwidth requirements. This scalability ensures that the network can adapt to changing demands.
6. Business Opportunities: Access to reliable internet can attract businesses and stimulate economic growth within the community. It can also create opportunities for local entrepreneurs to start online businesses or offer digital services.
7. Educational Benefits: FWA 2.5G enables students to access online educational resources and participate in remote learning, which has become increasingly important, especially during times of school closures or remote education.
8. Improved Quality of Life: Internet access can enhance the overall quality of life for community residents by providing access to entertainment, online shopping, government services, and information resources.
9. Community Development: Having internet access can encourage community engagement, information sharing, and the development of local digital initiatives, which can strengthen the social fabric of the community.
10. Emergency Services: FWA 2.5G networks can be valuable during emergencies, as they can provide a means of communication, access to emergency services, and real-time updates to residents.
In summary, deploying FWA 2.5G to the Oneida community serves the fundamental purpose of expanding access to the internet, improving the quality of life, promoting economic growth, and addressing digital disparities. It can be a vital tool for ensuring that all members of the community have the opportunity to participate in the digital age and access the benefits of online connectivity.